Skip to content
LatestCanada, U.S. officials to meet again as 50% tariffs to take effect in 3 days
CityAM Canada

Canadian business, markets & economy · Monday, 17 August 2026

  • Business
  • Markets
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Opinion
Monday 16 February 2015 3:06 am

Rolls-Royce dragged into Petrobras bribery scandal

By: Emma Haslett

Add as a preferred source on Google

Shares in embattled engineering giant Rolls-Royce opened 0.8 per cent lower this morning, after it was revealed it has been dragged into a multi-billion dollar bribery scandal by Brazillian state oil producer Petrobras. The company has been accused of paying out bribes in exchange for contracts to build gas turbines for oil platforms.

The accusations were unveiled after a Brazillian court released 600 pages of documents detailing testimony by Pedro Barusco, a former director of Sete Brazil, a company in charge of supplying drilling rigs to Petrobras, who has become a key informant on the company.

In the documents, Barusco alleges that Rolls-Royce paid him $200,000 of bribes in exchange for a $100m contract to build gas turbines for one of Petrobras' oil platforms. 

Rolls-Royce joins Dutch offshore oil vessel supplier SBM Offshore and Singaporean firms Keppel Corporation and Sembcrop Marine as companies under investigation for allegations surrounding the bribes-for-contracts scheme, which is thought to have taken place over the past decade.

Today a Rolls-Royce spokesman said: "We want to make it crystal clear that we will not tolerate improper business conduct of any sort and will take all necessary action to ensure compliance. We have not received details of the allegations made in recent press reports, nor have we been approached by the authorities in Brazil. We have always been clear that we will not tolerate improper business conduct of any sort and will take all necessary action to ensure compliance, including co-operating with authorities in any country.”

The allegations come days after Rolls-Royce published figures showing sales at the company fell for the first time in a decade in 2014. Hit by the twin challenges of falling oil prices and sanctions against Russia, the company is in the middle of a wide-ranging restructuring, which is expected to result in the loss of 2,600 jobs.

On Friday chief executive John Rishton said pre-tax profits were likely to be hit again in 2015, falling as much as four per cent to £1.4bn-£1.55bn.

To compound things further, the company is also under investigation by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) over accusations of bribery and corruption in Indonesia and China.

In December 2012 the SFO said it had been passed information by Rolls-Royce "relating to concerns about bribery and corruption involving intermediaries in overseas markets". In September David Green, the agency's chief, warned "there will be more arrests". 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Company
  • Petrobras
  • Rolls Royce Holdings

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from CityAM

  • Rolls-Royce share jump as profit beats expectations

    Industrials
    Rolls-Royce is a member of the FTSE 100. Credit - Getty.
  • Rolls-Royce Spectre Series II review: Driving a Rolls on a racetrack – yes, really…

    Life&Style
    Light blue Rolls-Royce Spectre electric coupe driving fast on a race track under a cloudy sky.
  • Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

    Industrials
    Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 hits new high after interest rates held

    Markets
    Andrew Bailey, Governor of the Bank of England, in a suit and tie, looking thoughtful during a press conference.
  • Rolls-Royce shares rise as Burnham pledges investment in British defence

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing current political issues in Manchester.
  • Defence drilling firm tools up for London IPO

    Markets
    UK investment allocation is at risk of being overtaken by Europe.
  • Britain should back the North Sea if it wants energy security and net zero

    Opinion
    Oil prices have risen as Israel and Iran tensions escalated.
  • First look: The Ferrari Daytona Shooting Brake ‘Hommage’

    Life&Style
    Ferrari Daytona Hommage sports car in vibrant red, showcasing sleek design and iconic style, parked on a scenic road.
CityAM Canada

Independent Canadian business, markets and economic journalism, published by CityAM Publishing in Toronto. Read our editorial standards and corrections policy.

CityAM Publishing, 3 Borden Street #301, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2M8, Canada.
Newsroom enquiries: contact the editorial desk.

Follow

LinkedInXRSSApple News

Sections

BusinessMarketsEconomyTechnologyPoliticsEnergyPropertyOpinion

Newsroom

About usEditorial standardsCorrectionsOur journalistsContact

Company

AdvertisePrivacy noticeTerms of useCookie preferences

© 2026 CityAM Publishing. All rights reserved.

PrivacyTermsCookiesContact

Nothing published on CityAM Canada constitutes investment advice or a recommendation to buy or sell any security. CityAM Canada is an independent Canadian edition and is not affiliated with any UK publication.