Skip to content
LatestCanada, U.S. officials to meet again as 50% tariffs to take effect in 3 days
CityAM Canada

Canadian business, markets & economy · Monday, 17 August 2026

  • Business
  • Markets
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Opinion
Tuesday 14 June 2016 3:41 pm

European Central Bank to do “whatever it takes” to limit turmoil following Brexit vote

By: Jake Cordell

Add as a preferred source on Google

Europe's top central bankers are ready to announce they will do "whatever it takes" to contain the spillover of Brexit on the financial markets.

The European Central Bank (ECB) is reportedly preparing to make a high-profile pledge on 24 June in the event that the UK votes to leave the EU to provide as much assistance as possible to the market and limit turmoil.

According to Reuters, the ECB will work with the Bank of England to extend "unlimited funding" in both sterling and euros to European banks to make sure they have the liquidity they need and best fight off the prospect of wild swings on the money markets. Similar mechanisms were put in place with the US Federal Reserve following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

A conference call among the 19 individual central banks that make up the ECB has been scheduled for the early hours of 24 June, once  indications of the referendum result emerge, to decide on the exact course of action.

Read more: FTSE 100 crashes to three-month low

Carney has previously hinted that the Bank of England will also step in to limit the fallout of a Brexit vote. The governor said he could call an emergency meeting of the rate-setting monetary policy committee (MPC) whenever it was necessary if he wanted to change tact at short notice. He has also said swap lines with the ECB would be kept under review and plans to take any necessary decisions shortly after the result of the vote emerges.

The news comes after another day of turmoil on the financial markets, with sterling tumbling against the dollar and the FTSE 100 crashing through the 6,000 mark.

However, there was relatively muted take-up of the first of the Bank's additional repurchase agreement (Repo) auctions held this morning. Lenders tapped up Threadneedle Street for an additional £2.5bn in cash in the first of three extra funding rounds timed around the referendum – that was the lowest in a single round since February though it did take the amount of assets swapped with the Bank for cash to its highest ever in a single month.

A spokesperson from the ECB was unavailable to comment.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics
  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Economics

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from CityAM

  • Revolut lands fresh banking licence after wrestling with Europe friction

    Fintech
    Revolut Banque Française ad on a Morris column in Paris, with the July Column and blurred traffic in the background.
  • ‘Moron premium’ – Westminster turmoil has ‘cost taxpayers £35bn’ since 2022

    Politics
    Westminster Houses of Parliament under clear sky, iconic London landmark representing UK government and politics
  • RS2 Financial Services GmbH Selected to Participate in ECB Digital Euro Pilot

    Business Wire
  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

    Fintech
    The valuation would cement Monzo's status as one of Britain's biggest tech start-ups.
  • Bank of England to relax capital rules despite warning of economic threats

    Banking
    Bank of England building on Threadneedle Street, London, showcasing its historic architecture and financial significance
  • Bank of England warns Burnham of UK economy’s ‘big issue’

    Economics
    Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey said the future of interest rates was "more uncertain".
  • Don’t hike bank taxes, Barclays warns Burnham

    Banking
    Barclays investment bank income soared in the first quarter.
  • Interest rate cut is ‘off the table’, says Bank of England governor

    Economics
    Governor Andrew Bailey has launched a defence of the Federal Reserve's independence.
CityAM Canada

Independent Canadian business, markets and economic journalism, published by CityAM Publishing in Toronto. Read our editorial standards and corrections policy.

CityAM Publishing, 3 Borden Street #301, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2M8, Canada.
Newsroom enquiries: contact the editorial desk.

Follow

LinkedInXRSSApple News

Sections

BusinessMarketsEconomyTechnologyPoliticsEnergyPropertyOpinion

Newsroom

About usEditorial standardsCorrectionsOur journalistsContact

Company

AdvertisePrivacy noticeTerms of useCookie preferences

© 2026 CityAM Publishing. All rights reserved.

PrivacyTermsCookiesContact

Nothing published on CityAM Canada constitutes investment advice or a recommendation to buy or sell any security. CityAM Canada is an independent Canadian edition and is not affiliated with any UK publication.